Wednesday, February 3, 2010

bonne mere, bad mom


DJ, my 15 year old daughter asked if she could get a nose ring. at first, i immediately said, "NO". this was completely out of character for me in my relationship with her. she was taken aback and so was i. i continued doing the chore i was doing before she interrupted me and i thought about my response and how i could make it better. i don't want her getting a nose ring, not now, not until she has left our house and is making her own money and has her own responsibilities. when i was finished doing the dishes, i went into the living room, kissed her forehead.
i have said, "no" to the nose ring.
she thinks it's stupid and my cool mom rate has gone down a considerable amount but the reasons went beyond the "you're too young" card.
i said no because:
1) who will be paying for it? i don't know, mom?
2) who will be paying for the hygienic products that come with a piercing? i don't know, mom?
already, this has become my responsibility. i don't want this one, i have so many and this is one that i can choose to say no to.
she's been kind to me about the decision i made for her. i have also said no to a tattoo as well.
i never wanted to be a cool mom, i just want to be a good one.

1 comment:

  1. getting a tattoo at 15 is way too young!!!! heck, i was 25 when i got my first one!
    i am so glad that i decided not to get one when i was 18...that japanese character would have been soooo atrocious!

    ReplyDelete